Thursday, July 28, 2005

A Blog on Blogging



It’s been said that the unreflective life is not worth living. With that in mind, I wanted to be more concrete in the things I reflect upon, not only in my personal blog, but also through more specific means such as book reviews, music reviews, articles and the like. So I’ve added a section to my site called “My Inklings” where I hope to post my writings and thoughts from the culture of my life.

But blogs [web logs] are a peculiar thing. It’s a journal … that is public – at first thought, it’s almost an oxymoron, because most journals in my life in the past have been private. And if it’s private, it’s much easier to be honest and open about anything and anyone I write about. But once you add the element of other people reading it, it changes everything. Suddenly image becomes a factor … how will people respond to what is written? How will it be seen? How will it be received? But a reassuring thing is to read examples of godly people of the past (e.g. missionaries and early church fathers) who kept journals with the assumption that others would be reading it in the future.

Also, this means of blogging has become a source of accountability for me. It’s helping me keep track of my days and has provided a means of remembering the journey of life that I am on. And as a pastor, it’s been a valuable source of getting to know other people in our congregation on a more relaxed level that wouldn't have been there in the past [and vice versa, for them to get to know me in that same relaxed setting].

It has also enabled me to reconnect with old friends that I haven’t talked to in years and discover a deeper answer to the question “how are you doing?” in ways that couldn’t be conveyed in a phone call or email. So for me, the benefits are many, and even if it were a private journal that no one could read except me, I’m enjoying this means of organizing my life online, so I can have a place [online] to look back and see how good God has been each day of my life.

So whether you eat or drink or blog, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Currently Listening
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
By U2
Yahweh

What's New: Added new posts to my inklings section. I posted a book review on "The Treasure Principle" by Randy Alcorn and a Bible reflection from Exodus. This is turning into a great accountability tool for me ... keeping me thinking, writing, and on my toes concerning what I'm reading, listening to, and learning throughout my days. My free times are becoming more productive ... hee hee hee.

No comments: