Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Korea's Martyr Museum


A hidden treasure in Korea. A place not too many people know about ... but definately worth visiting is the Martyr's Museum in Korea. The first few taxi driver's I asked didn't even know what I was talking about (I'm not sure if it was my Korean or the destination they couldn't figure out), but eventually, after a much animated description, I found one who knew the place I had in mind.

I wanted to visit here for quite awhile after finding out that my grandmother's older brother is in the museum. He was one of the first Korean martyr's in our country's Christian history. I thought that was super cool that I had a martyr in my family line :) I used to have a booklet with pictures and names of everyone who died in that time period, but can't find it anymore :(

But after finally arriving there, to my sadness the museum was closed that day! :( So I just hung out at the missionary graveyard next door. It was cool to see how many missionaries came to Korea and died there in the early part of the century. I felt like I was walking on such sacred ground as I read the tombstones of these people who gave their lives to bring the Gospel to Korea.

And it was because of their obedience and sacrifice many years ago that my family and I were able to hear the Gospel that gave us life eternal. I felt like I was standing in the midst of so many "saints" ... I couldn't help but pray that my life would be counted worthy of being used by God like these men and women.

So check it out next time your in Korea. Read what was said about their lives and I know your heart will be pumped again to make Christ your everything. For Christ and His Kingdom ... that's why we're here. :)

No comments: